11.20.2009

mmm lemon cookies

I posted this on nibbledish a few months ago, but for some reason recently my recipes with photoshopped images have been rejected! I didn't have that many on there to begin with (okay...5...FIVE - the number looks much bigger when I spell out the word?) but when I wrote in to get an explanation for my REJECTIONS, none of them would go through....so alas, I have arrived in the feared and web-blocked (I currently live in a country that *sigh...blocks most blog-based sites, but thanks to my techy bf, I have wormed my way through. HA! I laugh in the face of whomever is keeping me from reading foodie blogs...) land of blogger.

I made these cookies a while back, but I wanted to start off by posting something, anything...unfortunately my hobbit-sized oven fails miserably when it comes to baking cakes (or any baked-goods that are ambitious enough to rise higher than 3 cm). Let's stop now with the complaints and get on with the lemon cookies!
All you need is:
2 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 cup butter, softened (if your butter has been in the refrigerator, cut into cubes, that will help the butter soften faster)
1 1/2 cups White Sugar
1 Egg (room temperature)
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract (I used lemon juice...so it wasn't as fragrant as the lemon extract would be)
1 tablespoon lemon peel
And to make them pretty...
2 tablespoon lemon peel
1 tablespoon sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 175C. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  3. Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and very fluffy.
  4. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, lemon extract/juice and lemon peel.
  5. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
  6. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Place on lined cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. Mix together the 2 tbsp of lemon peel and sugar and press a tiny bit of the mixture onto the top of each cookie.
  7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the oven or until lightly browned.
  8. Let stand on cookie sheet a few minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
Notes:
I used Kosher Salt and I don't think I mixed it that well with the dry ingredients, so some of them came out a bit salty - not to the point of being unbearable, it was actually kind of good that way, and yes, i ate enough of them to be able to make comparisons between cookies of the same batch. No shame, no shame ( I have no one to donate my goods to).

Try these, they're simple, buttery, lemony, but may possibly send you straight to the dentist.