11.23.2009

1/4 Cup-sized Oatmeal Raisin Cookies - not a health food



This morning I awoke to the sad cries of the Chocolate Cake sitting in my refrigerator - only a quarter of it eaten by myself and my dear friend Sherri - with very very strict plans to end up in the trash sometime between my morning cup of Earl Grey and sliced apple....if only I had the strength.

I live alone, and anyone who knows me would understand that it is complete madness to leave me alone with chocolate cake, no one is getting out alive, not a single crumb, things are pretty much over. On Saturday morning I was woken by little Miss Holland, my sweet as pie canine. I had been dreaming about eating four cakes, with my hands, all at the same time. Needless to say, I was upset, woke my bf up with cries of despair, begging whoever would listen to let me go back to sleep. It didn't happen, so I rolled around the bed trying to recall every last detail to bf. So anyway, when I got home later in the day, I was greeted with the aforementioned talking Cake brought to me in the arms of my loving bf.

So thats how it happened, thats how I discovered cakes actually talk. It wouldn't shut up so I had to eat it.

I figure this Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe (definitely wolf in sheep's clothing, albeit a tight fitting one..teeheee! too much buttaaaahhhh) would help balance out the chocolate-morning.

I went through tons of recipes and this is a pretty good combo of ingredients - chewy, buttery (duh), raisin-y...food writing encourages the creation of new words.

177C / Baking Sheet

3/4 unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 cup brown sugar - packed
1 egg (room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all purpose flour (I use whole wheat flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
AND OF COURSE
1 cup raisins/chocolate chips/dried cranberries...anything!

  1. Cream together butter and brown sugar for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
  2. Add egg and vanilla extract to mixture, beat to combine. This is when it begins to smell like the sweet fragrance of danger!!
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
  4. Slowly add dry ingredients into mixture.
  5. Stir in rolled oats and raisins
  6. For large cookies, use 1/4 cup batter/ice cream scoop (it might sound daunting but it really is the perfect size! I promise you'll be wishing they were 1/2 cup cookies)
  7. Place 5 cm apart and flatten slightly so they are around 1/2 inch thick.
  8. Bake 12-13 minutes or until golden brown around the edges, the center should still be a bit wet.

Each time I make these cookies, it takes me around 3 hours...my oven is SO tiny I can only bake 3 at a time - I refuse to compromise the size of the cookies.